Friday, October 16, 2009

What Hangs above the door?

One of the most overlooked areas in a house for decorating is above the doors, the wall space between the door frame and ceiling. In our home, we have ample room from the top of the door frame to ceiling, so why leave it bare? A few years ago, I hung this above the door in the family room that leads to the back yard.



Now the wall space doesn't look so bare and it's the first thing you see when you walk in the house from the front door if your looking straight ahead.



I just love the thick garland of roses


it's one of my favorite peices in the room.


Last weekend, I found this.

Wasn't crazy about the color but a few coats of paint changed all of that. Now it looks like this.

There were so many places in the house I could have hung this, making my mind up was some what hard to do. I decided to hang it above the front door and I just love the way it looks.



This has hung above the front door for a week now. The front door gets a lot of use and every night since the weather has been cooler, my husband and I have been going on a walk/run (ok, we do more walking than running for now). When we leave for our walk/run, we leave the house through the front door and my husband hasn't even noticed that something is above the front door. When he finally realizes it, he'll say, hey Janice, when did you get that? I'll tell him how long it's been there and he'll disagree with me, insisting that I must have "just" put it there, tooo funny, he makes me laugh!!

So, what hangs above your doors, I'd love to know.

Have a fabulous weekend, Janice

6 comments:

Ana said...

Hi Janice,
Gorgeous pieces. Love, love, love them. And isn't that such typical hubby behavior? Sometimes it takes my hubby a few day to notice any changes in the house. For example, today I changed some accessories I had on my little telephone table. Well as soon as my daughter gets home from school she noticed...but has hubby noticed? Not yet. ;-D That's ok, we still love them, huh?
Have a wonderful weekend. Until next time.

Hugs,
♥Ana

Mary said...

Janice, both pieces are beautiful! I've often thought about doing the same thing...I see them, then wonder if I should...now I think I should! Oh, hubby's, they're all alike, aren't they? LOL! Well, you're lucky he notices at all...my poor guy can't see the door half the time! Take care, sweetie!
Mary

Cindy said...

Those are both so beautiful. I haven't seen any that I like as much. I 'm going to keep my eyes open. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!

Renee said...

Hi Janice-I have purchased some birds on a branch to hang over my door and if I ever get it hung - I'll post a photo.

See you soon-
Renee

My Shabby Rose Cottage said...

Funny...I am an over the door addict!! I am in a new home now and haven't had a chance to make what I am wanting to place over all these doors!! I mainly place words...something to guide you through each time you walk through...I am also a word/phrase addict!!

Warm Hugs
Linda

Rita said...

Hi Janice,
by pure chance I've discovered your blog and I'm so glad I did - it is so lovely. Yes, very homey, inviting and inspiring.
Love the piece you painted and hung above your main door. Looks great and I'm sure it adds your home just the special charming touch.
I'll be delightd if you'll find the time to stop by my blog. You can find it at http://ritashabbychicrose.blogspot.com/
With wark wishes
rita